To ensure that this courgette and pine nut cake has a sweet taste, it is best made only in early summer, when the courgettes are still very small.
150g Unsalted butter, softened
175g Caster sugar
225g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
225g Sultanas or dried vine fruits
300g Small courgettes, grated
70g Pine nuts
1 Lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm high-sided flan tin or springform cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating constantly
- Sieve the flour and baking powder in and fold in with the sultanas, grated courgettes, 50g pine nuts and the lemon zest and juice.
- Transfer the thick batter to the tin and scatter with the remaining pine nuts. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40–45 minutes.
- When ready, the cake will be slightly brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning it out.